Call for Artists
Please note that the application is open to Hungarian speaking artists .
This year, we continue the Artists at Schools project, which was originally announced—and carried out with positive outcomes—as a pilot project in 2012, and is based on the collaboration between artists and schools.
I. Specifications regarding content and structure
In the current political and economic situation, the changes made with respect to education concern steps towards centralization, a decrease in the autonomy of schools, and an orientation towards discipline, authority and performance. Art education is pushed to the background, while less and less space is allowed for individual opinions, critical thinking, creativity, experimentation, and play.
The objective of Artists at Schools is to raise and deploy the concept of democracy and its principles of operation within art-critical pedagogical practices, with the concurrent use of the potentials of art and critical pedagogy.
With the realized projects, we are looking for answers to questions, such as:
- What role can artists and their knowledge have in teaching democratic and critical thinking?
- What role can artists have in teaching in a school setting?
- How can democratic principles prevail in collaborative efforts between artists and students?
Within the framework of Artists in Schools, artists and students create collabrative projects, in which the creative process is carried out along democratic principles.
The project to be realized can be:
- a shared work of the artist and the students
- the students’ own project, realized with the help of the artist
- a project by the artist that is realized in collaboration with the students
The projects offer students an opportunity to become familiar, through meeting and working together with an artist, with a type of thinking that questions stereotypes or the acceptance of facts and statements resulting from routine or the compulsion to conform. In these projects, art appears not as an isolated field, but as a medium that fosters one’s sense of critique and responsibility, and facilitates the practice of freedom.
In selecting the applications, the understanding of the project as a local catalyst—taking into account the circumstances of, and possibilities available to, the school—means an advantage. Furthermore, projects whose concept contains elements that make longer-term artist-school collaborations conceivable (e.g. including in the project themes/elements of self-organization, self-teaching circle, advocacy, and solidarity) are also preferred.
Artists in Schools does not support the instrumentalization (i.e. neglecting in any form the particular study/participation needs) of its participants; it emphasizes the importance of providing students with agency.
II. Practical conditions
Artists in Schools projects should be realized in the period between September and December 2013. Project documentations will be presented and experiences will be discussed at the end of 2013 - beginning of 2014.
Documentation—which can be the outcome of the collaborative work of the artist and the students or the documentation of the project itself—is an important part of the project. Also, there is possibility for the artist (on his/her own or in collaboration with the students) to prepare the documentation (publication, website, or video).
tranzit. hu provides financial support for realizing the projects, also offering assistance in finding a school-partner and coordinating with the school.
To submit an application, please include the following:
- project plan, which contains the concept of the project to be realized
- approximate work schedule (divided into teaching units) and description of required materials (these can be approximate, to be made more precise later)
- approximate budget plan, which includes materials and production costs
- proposal regarding schools where the project would be realized – this would be appreciated, but it is not obligatory; the involvement of any type of school or student group is possible
Gross sum of HUF 500,000, which includes the costs of realization and documentation (in Hungarian and English), and the fee.
In 2013, two projects will be realized.
Please submit applications at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2013. This is also the email address for all inquires related to the project.
This call is announced by tranzit. hu.
The project is curated by Judit Angel, Dora Hegyi, Lilla Khoor,
The project is coordinated by Vera Simon